Yeast infections are among the most commonly occurring infections, affecting an estimated 75% of the female population at some point in their lives.
The Candida genus of yeast is naturally produced by the body in small amounts. The body controls the yeast production with lactobacillus, friendly bacteria which are found in the digestive, urinary, and genital systems.
Treating Yeast Infections
Nevertheless, if the body becomes unbalanced, these bacteria may lose their ability to regulate the yeast production, leading to an overgrowth of yeast cells which cause a yeast infection.
This infection is characterized by itching, pain, rash, soreness, as well as unusual vaginal discharge.
Although a yeast infection is uncomfortable and irritating, it is generally not serious, and it can be cured with certain natural remedies, rather than with aggressive treatments.
One of the best and simplest natural options for combating this infection is the usage of coconut oil. Even though the severity of the yeast infection plays a crucial role in the success of the treatment, in certain cases, this oil has shown positive results within only a few hours.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Treating Yeast Infections?
The coconut oil will help you to treat a yeast infection in a very short period of time. Its great effectiveness in battling against these infections is owed to its high content of caprylic acid which has an ability to break down the yeast cells and to prevent them from multiplying.
Also, the coconut oil is a natural sweetener that allows you to cut back on sugar, which the fungi feed on. This oil is helpful in treating and protecting your irritated and sensitive skin that has been damaged by the yeast infection.
There are several ways in which you can use the coconut oil for healing a yeast infection, including:
Add the Coconut Oil to Your Diet
If you consume a small amount of organic extra virgin coconut oil on a daily basis, you will fully enjoy its powerful healing properties. There are a number of ways in which you can add this oil to your diet, including:
- Take a teaspoon of coconut oil before each of your meals.
- Add a teaspoon of this oil to your hot beverages.
- Substitute your regular cooking oils with coconut oil.
- Stir a spoonful of this oil in a bowl of oatmeal.
- Add coconut oil on toast instead of butter.
Douche with Coconut Oil
Even though many doctors advise against douching because it can disrupt your body’s natural balance, the coconut oil is a gentle substance which can be safely used for treating yeast infections.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of this oil to 2 quarts of warm distilled water and mix the solution.
- Douche with this solution once a day.
- Optionally, instead of the douche, you can use a tampon soaked in this solution.
Apply Coconut Oil to the Affected Area
If you apply the coconut oil directly, you will enable your skin to absorb its medicinal properties.
- Clean and dry the affected area of your skin.
- Apply a thin layer of coconut oil to your skin by using a cotton ball.
- Repeat the process 2-3 times on a daily basis until the infection is gone.