The vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin and powerful antioxidant, which helps the body to form and maintain a connective tissue, including skin, blood vessels, and bones.
Sources of Vitamin C
A severe deficiency of vitamin C can cause scurvy, a disease occurring from a breakdown of collagen. This disease causes an opening of previously healed wounds, swollen bleeding gums, tooth loss, and bone damage.
Although only a small amount of vitamin C is required to prevent scurvy, even a mild deficiency of this vitamin can result in certain symptoms, such as fatigue, joint and muscle aches, bleeding gums, easy bruising, slow wound healing, nosebleeds, dry red spots on the skin, and dry splitting hair.
Here are the best food sources of vitamin C, which will help you to reverse any of these symptoms and to improve your health.
Foods Rich in Vitamin C
The consumption of the following foods can help you to maintain optimal levels of vitamin C. You should consume 2 to 3 of these vitamin C food sources on a daily basis:
- Guava – 1 fruit contains 125 mg of vitamin C;
- Oranges – 1 large orange offers 82 mg of vitamin C;
- Kiwi – 1 fruit contains 64 mg of vitamin C;
- Red peppers – ½ cup of raw, chopped red peppers provides 95 mg of vitamin C;
- Green peppers – ½ cup of raw, chopped green peppers has 60 mg of vitamin C;
- Kale – 1 cup of kale contains 80 mg of vitamin C;
- Broccoli – ½ cup of cooked broccoli offers 51 mg of vitamin C;
- Brussels sprouts – ½ cup of cooked Brussels sprouts contains 48 mg of vitamin C.
Health Benefits of Vitamin C
The intake of vitamin C can provide you with many benefits, including:
- Strengthens your immune system and protects you against colds and flu;
- Fights free radical damage;
- Enhances the health of your teeth and gums;
- Improves your skin health, promotes collagen formation, and prevents premature skin aging;
- Relieves stress, anxiety, and depression;
- Soothes the symptoms of arthritis;
- Stimulates a proper blood circulation, reduces high blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and, therefore, protects your cardiovascular system;
- Protects your brain health and reduces your risk of a stroke;
- Relieves asthma symptoms;
- Improves mineral absorption.