Cancer-Causing Chemical Released from Scented Candles

Scented candles are often used to set an enjoyable atmosphere, either when you are taking a relaxing bath or when arriving home after a stressful day at work.

These candles are usually praised for their powers to make you feel relaxed and calm. However, these seemingly harmless candles can be very damaging to your health.

Limonene – Toxic Chemical Found in the Scented Candles

Dr. Alastair Lewis, from the National Center for Atmospheric Science at the University of York, proved that an ingredient, known as limonene, used for providing the candles with a citrus-like aroma transforms into formaldehyde, a poisonous gas which poses a serious threat to your health.

This chemical is found in the lemon scented candles, and it turns into formaldehyde when is being burned. The limonene is safe only when is not altered.

However, when released into the air, the molecules of this ingredient react to the ozone, which promotes its transformation into formaldehyde.

According to the Health Protection Agency, the formaldehyde can be responsible for causing cancer. In order to avoid the negative effects of these candles, Dr. Lewis suggests that after the usage of scented candles, you should open your doors. Or even better, you should not use them at all.

John Borsov

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *